April 22, 2022
The new era of reclaiming medicine and empowering a person to be an active participant in ones health, with physician by his or her side, has come. With it, the need for a new oath, a promise made from the heart, has also risen.
Here is the Oath of a Medicus, that I wrote for the World Council for Health. I chose the word Medicus because in Latin it means A Healer. In the world we live in, there is a need for all the medical and health professionals to come together and stand alongside the patients on this journey of healing. There is a better way and together we will make it happen.
PRIMUM NON NOCERE - OMNIA PRO AEGROTO
Oath of A Medicus
1. I solemnly promise to apply regimens of treatment or recommendations to the best of my ability and judgment for the benefit of those in my care, while protecting them from harm and injustice
2. I promise to protect and enhance through my best endeavors the health and well-being of all humans in my care
3. I promise to respect the autonomy and dignity of all living beings
4. I promise to maintain the utmost respect for every human life
5. I promise to be honest and maintain the high standards of professional integrity
6. I promise to honor and respect my colleagues and to uphold the noble traditions of my profession
7. I promise to be diligent in advancing my professional knowledge and skills to benefit those I help and treat
8. I promise to attend to my own health and well-being in order to be able to provide care of the highest standard to others
9. I promise to protect the confidentiality and privacy of those for whom I have the privilege of caring
10. I promise to seek counsel of differently and highly skilled professionals where indicated for the benefit of those for whom I care
11. I promise never to discriminate against those for whom I care, including on the basis of age, race, gender, nationality, ethnicity, religion or belief, political affiliation, sexual orientation or social standing
12. I promise that I will neither treat anyone nor carry out any research on any human being without the valid informed consent of the subject or the appropriate lawful protector thereof
13. I promise that I will never use my expertise or medical knowledge to violate human rights or civil liberties, even under threat to myself.
I make these promises solemnly, freely, and upon my honor.
Katarina Lindley, D.O. FACOFP
The World Council for Health Steering Committee
President Elect Texas AAPS